Monday, November 06, 2006

A weekend out

This weekend was one of sleep and adventures for this Stevenson family. Friday evening was the Halloween party at Matthew's office. It was fun. Many pictures were taken of Bronson, and he ended the evening with a lipstick kiss on his forehead which we're not sure who it came from :)
There was a great bobbing for apples competition, a couple dressed as Borat and Ali G who were funnier than the actual Borat and Ali G, and Bronson's best friend Jesse was there! (Although they have yet to actually discover each other or realize that they're being forced to be best friends) Yes, it was really great to see Elina and Joey and their son Jesse who's 1 month older than Bronson. Although Jesse and Bronson are the same size, Jesse has his neck support and was forward facing in his Baby Bjorn - something Matthew and I are really looking forward to with Bronson.

Saturday was a day to catch up on sleep for Matthew and I, and that's what we did all morning and early afternoon. We even had to skip our soccer game to work on this. To be fair it was a 10am soccer game, and it's just not that easy making it anywhere that early with the babe. In the afternoon we lured Matthew out for a walk and grabbed lunch at the Baja Grill. This is a fast food mexican grill restaurant that is popular in SoCal. It's 2 blocks from our house and although I have a hard time going out for Mexican (because it's so easy to make!), this was worth it. BEST burrito I ever had. Saturday night we watched the "highly political" and totally disappointing 'American Dreamz', save yourself the money, it never really pushes the limits that it claims to.

Sunday Matthew needed to write a midterm exam. CalTech grad studies works on the basis of trust. So, he downloads the exam off the net and works on it 5 hours straight, and that's it. Finished. This one was open book, another one he has to do by Thursday is closed book, 4 hours wherever you like. It's cool for them to show that trust. It makes me think of all the times I saw cheating in University and realize that those people didn't make it in to grad institutions.
While Matthew did his exam Bronson and I endeavoured to be out of his hair. Our first outing was to the Pasadena City College Flea Market - people come from all around LA for this, it happens the first Sunday of every month, and is only ~ 4 blocks East of us. We walked there and walked around and came home disappointed. I'd hoped for a market, but it was like 480 garage sales in one place. Not good garage sales, either. Dirty junky ones.
At various times in my life it would've been awesome, second hand clothes, reto things, etc. But not anymore, I'm really no longer into any of that. PLUS, everything was really overpriced! I was shocked. Just because you call it an antique, doesn't mean it is. There were 3 things that tempted me; 2 for Aimee, a dress but it was expensive, and a beautiful pink guitar where the hole in the front was shaped like a heart, but it was WAY too expensive, like, if I won the lotto expensive. The other was the dvd's, there were many of them, new even, but they were all mostly the latest hits and as much as I like Mission Impossible, my dislike of Tom Cruise far outweighs it and I can't bring myself to see it much less purchase it. Also, they were unwatched and very cheap and I just don't know where they came from. Although, I have my suspicions.
So, that was a major disappointment.
After a brief stint home to change diapers and feed, we headed West to do some Lake Avenue Christmas shopping. I think Bronson had alot of fun, he was all smiles and sleep.
After this, we went home and hung out in the small back yard of our building watching twilight set in while Matthew continued his exam. We met some of the kids who live here, they liked to watch the baby, and I enjoyed lying on a blanket under the sky with my son and no mosquitoes around to bother us. It was sunny and warm yesterday, I'd been wearing sunscreen, and the smell of that coupled with lying on a blanket made me think of Rathtrevor beach. I think we need to take Bronson there as soon as he can run around and enjoy it.
Anyhow, there's our weekend in detail - I was so exhausted by my day yesterday that I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow - so much for catching up on sleep :)

No comments: