Friday, October 27, 2006

My baby, the Car

Gone is Betsy, our trusty Plymouth Breeze. She served us well that car, thank you Danielle and Uncle Doug. That car took us on many the camping trip, road trip to Manitoba, many trips up island to Port Alberni, our honeymoon to Tofino, surfing, to school at Camosun Interurban, to art classes across town. She ferried my paintings to shows, she filled to the brim for craft fairs. She took us to the hospital and back, then to the hospital again during labour. She was Bronson's ride home after being born. And of course, her last trip delivering us and our few prized possesions to California. She was a spacious car, and in the right light, at the right angle she was smooth and beautiful. She will be missed.

Now we have a spunky 2005 Chevy Cavalier. We were given two pieces of advice by our local friends before buying Chev' ; Don't buy an American car and make sure you find one with a dent in it to get a better price. Well, we took neither piece of advice. So now we have dentless Chev' and a 4 year warranty.
Chev' is alright. He's got a red line on the side of him, maybe half a cm thick and it drives Matthew and I nuts. Why? Why a red stripe on a silver car?!?
He's got good A/C, is smaller than the Plymouth (though most cars are), and is very responsive.

He also has a cd player, which is good because until now I've been repeating the same 2 songs over and over again to Bronson in the car to calm him down [HE likes my singing voice, AND my whistle!]. Yesterday night B and I made a dash to Target before they closed, to buy some necesities; printer ink and batteries for his vibrating chair. While there I looked for an appropriate childrens cd for us to listen to in the car, and me to sing along with, so that every trip is not a scream fest. I didn't really like any of the kids cd's though, so I ended up buying a Disney cd of the Princess movies theme songs. Matthew's not as excited about this as I obviously am. I can sing along to all of these songs, I must say, I do a pretty good Little Mermaid. Anyhow, I have a feeling that Matthew won't let this last for long, so I'm looking for any excuse to take a drive (I didn't dare bring it into the house). However, in my defense I do think that this complements the indie-rock Rheostatics children album that we listen to almost every day.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

If Oprah can drive across country in a Chevy than I'm sure it'll be good for you guys :)

And you're right. Why the red stripe?

Man, I love all those disney princess songs. I miss singing along to them.