Sunday, August 31, 2008

Millard Canyon Falls Hike

Yesterday we went on Bronson's first "real" hike, in the nearby San Gabriel mountains, right at the very end of Lake Avenue (for those of you who've visited, Lake is where the Trader Joes is) to Millard Canyon Falls. I was web surfing the other day and feeling sick of big cities and manicured lawns when I came across this hike. It's nice to know that forests and rivers aren't too far away.

So, the hike is 1 mile return and there's a nice waterfall at the end. However the waterfall is just a trickle in the summer, much more spectacular in the winter/spring when we've had a little rain. Not that we got that far :) I think we got about half way, then found a nice area next to a clear pool in the river and sat and had our lunch. Bronson and I dipped our feet in and got dirty. Matthew helped us clean off. It was relatively easy hiking terrain, but there is a bit of climbing and slipping in the dirt that made it a challenge for our 1 year old. When B is 2 maybe he'll be better suited to it, we definetly will be going again. A suprise bonus is that apparently when dining in the forest Bronson will eat whatever you give him, he ate cheese which he has avoided in rectangular form for many months, rice crackers which he won't touch at home, even... MIXED fruit cup! He generally likes his fruit cups limited to one colour and shape of fruit, thank you very much.
Bronson pushed dad aside from this rock and claimed it as his resting spot.

In other news, as far as pregnancy goes, I am 10 weeks along, yay double digits! I'm feeling pretty sick in the evenings and early morns on my bike ride to work. I'm doing a blog update @ 3am while eating fruit loops, so I guess midnight snacks have started. Blahh. We have taught Bronson that "baby" is in mom's belly, so when we ask where baby is, he points and sometimes he gives baby a kiss. For no real reason I feel like it's a boy and we talk like it's a boy. I do plan to find out, but in true 2nd child fashion (so my mom tells me), I have put off seeing a doctor and won't have my first appointment until next Thursday, at which point I should already be able to hear the heart beat, and the baby is already the size of a kiwi. I do feel guilty seeing as my first appointment with B was 2 weeks after I found out, and even then the doc had made me wait that long to see her. Oh well.

Bronson's b-day party is Monday, and real b-day is Wednesday, so I have a busy week ahead, but my co-worker is back from vacation, so no more 6:45 work mornings, now I'm back to 8 - 12 and I couldn't be happier about that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bronson looks so grown up! Miss you guys.

The Neufelds said...

Ah good to here the am snacking has started for you too... for me it is 4am. Glad you all enjoyed a nice hike... i have enjoyed my mommy time out weekend. Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

Did Bronson complain about the hike as much as Daddy and Aunty Teri used to do?

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY BRONSON! Hope you have a really nice day.

Love Grandma Portage

Jenn Stevenson said...

Yes, Bronson complained and desperately wanted to be carried - but no doing. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bronson! Thanks for complaining, you are Gods way of getting even for your dads complaining, but don't worry, if Aunty Teri and Uncle Jay give you any cousins, they will have to work twice as hard as you!

Love,

Grampa and Memere

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bronson!