Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Our first family camping trip
Well, as most readers will know - I love camping. Matthew feels the same way (he'd better...) Anyhow, it has been a LONG time since last we camped, I think we tried when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant, so it's been nearly 2 years now! In fact - we even sold off all of our 2 person camping gear at a garage sale in Victoria before leaving. Luckily Teri-Lynne and Jay got us a 3 person tent and giant sleeping bag for Christmas, and we are now able to get back out there!
For our first trip of the year we went to Leo Carillo - 1 hour away, just north of Malibu on the sunny Southern California coastline. It's a nice State Beach with the campground in a canyon, and a tunnel under the PCH to the beach area.
Unfortunately - our bike with Bronson's baby seat on it was stolen earlier this week, so we were unable to do any bike riding :(, but we did alot of walking and visited the beach a couple times.
We had a great trip - we all enjoyed our Trader Joe's-organic-Mac n Cheddar and Veggie-Protein-link dogs (oh jeez), and turned in at the reasonable hour of 6pm!!!??? Well, Bronson did, and so did Matt. They cuddled beautifully, unfortunately I was cold outside the cuddle, on the feet side of my guys and spent the night, tossing, turning and being kicked. Who knew it would still be a cold camping trip in SoCal in February!
So Monday was a lazy day for myself and Matthew was refreshed and spent the day at work. Bronson urged me to put on Curious George for him, so we watched that and chilled out.
Anyhow, our february camping trip a success, we now turn our sights to the March trip and wonder where we should go.

Turns out the campsite had a built in "babysitter"



Here's a view of the surrounding hills from the public beach parking lot




We forgot to bring toys for Bronson, so we found him a nice big shell to dig with at the beach.

"No, dad, I don't want to work... I think I'll just lay in the sun all day"
Cutest bum ever.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, camping sounds like a great time!! South Cal sounds warmer then South Man.

Sabrina said...

I love that last picture. So cute. I can't imagine it being too cold...considering that I'm warming up to the northern climate. I actually suntanned the other day on my deck. It was about 7 degrees I think. :)

The Neufelds said...

Glad your camping experience was better then our trip to Lond Beach... allthough I would definately do it again... just a different time of the year with a bigger tent and a camp stove that works! And maybe a husband or two to chase off the "Bears." Bronson is so cute! Has h had a hair cut lately? I can't believe how little hair he has compaired to David.
Missing you all, Melissa

Jenn Stevenson said...

Sadly - aside from a tiny trim at 4 months so that aunty could give the first haircut - no, Bronson has not had any hair removed. This is all he's got...still. Everytime I wash his hair I chant "Grow, grow, grooowwwww!!!" Maybe that's the problem.