Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake

About an hour ago there was an earthquake in So Cal. It was the biggest I've ever felt. B and I were at the zoo, I was opening our car doors and the car rocked in to me and the ground shook. I went over to Bronson in the stroller and he was looking around confused.
When we got home, many of my paintings had been shaken off the walls, plants had fallen over and stuff had fallen off the top of the fridge.
The radio tells me it was felt from San Diego to Las Vegas, the epicenter was in south LA and they say it was a 5.8.

I'm glad we were not home for it, it would have been scarier to have to hide under the table, and if B was asleep that would have been hard.

Matthew was observing at Palomar Observatory last night so he is up there sleeping today, not sure how he's doing, but probably just fine. Observatory's tend to be prepared for Earthquakes, when he was in Chile he felt one nearly every week.

Wanted to let everyone know that we're fine, if a little shaken. Our new neighbors Margarita and Daniel (and their week-old daughter Amanda) were nice, Daniel checked to make sure we were ok, so we are in good hands :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking last night that you should move home, there is a luxury hotel opening in Wpg in 2010 and you could manage it! Matt is going to be flitting around the world anyway, so he can just do it from MB. Now this, an earthquake that puts the two of you in danger - if it was up to me, you would be on the next flight to Canada!!!!

Anonymous said...

PS I am glad you are okay.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us know - you know how we watch the weather channel and the Pasadena news! Hope your house is back in order now and Matthew was OK. PS I vote for the West Coast (or split time across Canada). Val

Sabrina said...

I'm glad you're okay too, but as much as I would like to hog you guys in Canada, there are many dangers here too. Like evil beavers, and moose on the highways, and the occasional Tsunami warning. Be safe. We love you xox

Anonymous said...

Glad your o.k.

Love,

Grampa stevenson

Anonymous said...

How about Port instead. Got an Ocean, swimming pool. You could make me coffee and Little B and I could bomb around on the E bike. Geuss who?