Monday, June 16, 2008

2008 Pasadena Chalk Festival

Well, it's been a long, extremely hot and tiring weekend. I worked from 8 am - 6 pm on Saturday and 6:30 am - 12:30pm on Sunday and finally completed my mural.

My area of cement was pretty tough to work with, rookie mistake choosing a high traffic area where the ground has been worn smooth. Other artists kept coming by and saying they were so sorry I got stuck with that spot. But, by the end I picked up new techniques for working with the smooth surface, so on future I'll know what to do.

I am still glad that I did it, even though my body isn't, it was good publicity for me. I got 1 job offer to teach, and 1 request to interview for a position as resident artist. Hundreds of people photographed my piece and told me it was their favorite. Lots of kids were able to recognize it as Diego Rivera's work which I though was amazing. I was even invited to an invite only chalk festival in Carlsbad in September, not sure if I'll go.
Anyhow, here is my final product:
And here is the painting it was based on:



Another part of the festival is that each artist is given a 1' by 1' canvas and asked to paint it. These are put up for silent auction with 100% of the proceeds going to charity. I am proud to say that mine was bid on 4 times and ultimately sold for $65. I would have priced the piece @ $40, so maybe I'm underselling myself!









And here is a short video showing the stages of completion over 2 days:




There wer over 150 murals, here are some picutres of other pieces there:

This was my neighbor, it was their 5th year at the festival, she won for most inspirational. They were very helpful to me and encouraging. Thank you!

Because a festival isn't a festival without an appearance from Chuck Norris.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jenn! Your piece is beautiful!!! Great job! Did I mention wow!?!

Anonymous said...

Apparently we are related - my thought is also - WOW!

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you Jenn!

Anonymous said...

truly amazing says dad

Anonymous said...

Jennifer Clare - I am so amazed! That was wonderful - I don't know how you do it - keep up the good work (international resident artist)! Your poor, poor knees and back though, ahhh the sacrifices. Love to all, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenn. I hate to be a copycat...but WOW!!! That is fine, fine artwork. Congrats!
And BTW, I just love your blog. I check it every day.
Corinne from East Sooke.

Sabrina said...

Jenn, I would have to say that yours is also my favourite. When are we going to put our artistic talents together and publish a children's book?

Anonymous said...

We went to see it and it was really beautiful. The day before we had seen the original at the Norton Simon and your version was pretty amazing ...

Have fun in Canada and say hi to Matthew and Bronson,

Walter

Sabrina said...

Hey Jenn
Not sure if you're checking your blog, but I will be in port the 6th to the 12th, but I don't have your parents phone number. Send me a message if you can with the number or how I can reach you, as I would love to come and visit you one day at Rath Trevor. I'll be at my mom's if you want to call there. See you soon!